Holiday Pecan Pralines
2 cups sugar plus 1 heaping kitchen spoon
1/3 stick butter
2 1/2 cups pecans
3/4 cup milk
1 pinch baking soda
1 tsp. Vanilla
- Mix 2 cups sugar & milk in large pan (4 quarts or larger).
- In small iron skillet caramelize 1 heaping kitchen spoon (approximately 1/4 cup) of sugar on low to medium heat.
- Heat the sugar and milk mixture on high.
- When sugar/milk mixture begins to boil add a pinch of baking soda.
- After this mixture bubbles up and again comes to a boil add liquid caramelized sugar.
- Cook several minutes.
- When mixture makes a soft ball in cold water add butter, vanilla and pecans.
- Remove from fire and BEAT until it hardens around the edges (usually about 5 minutes). Do not use an electric mixer, since it would break pecans. You may want to have a helper available to take turns beating.
- Drop by teaspoon onto waxed paper. Pralines should continue to harden as they cool.
I have heard these keep for weeks but they are always eaten before I can test this statement.